Pages

3.21.2011

In Case of the Mondays: George Ellias and Indie Folk


Bob Dylan had the surprising knack for writing lyrics that were so eloquently literary and from the heart that when he paired up his writing style with his simplistic guitar and harmonica, a new chord was struck that hit the world known as folk. That was back during a time when pop culture set itself aside and the independence and freedom to express was in full swing. Folk music was now just as rampant as rock and roll, and all for the better.

Now flashing forward to 2011, L.A bound George Ellias attempts to bring Dylan's style back to the masses with his new indie folk EP called Wanderlust, and it's just as righteously sound. He conjures up a type of nostalgia on tracks such as "Wonder Babe" and "Stand Ashore," hearkening back to tracks easily found in catalogs of Dylan or even Woody Guthrie. Their influences are deeply rooted in Ellias' own creations, and it's a good feeling knowing that a lot can be said from such simplicity amidst the gargantuan labels of today's current music scene. It's just what you need for those types of Mondays.

Check out "Stand Ashore" below as well as the rest of Wanderlust EP at the George Ellias Bandcamp webpage or on iTunes.

1 comment:

  1. Crashing Symbols,

    I just wanted to let you know that I received the message you left on the Digital Meltd0wn Music Blogroll/Aggregator @ http://music-bloggers.blogspot.com I am planning to perform a major update this weekend. I will be sure to add your blog to the list of those that I need to verify. Should your blog meet my acceptance criteria, I should have it listed by this coming Sunday.

    I was hoping you might be able to help me out. I have noticed several bloggers who are using mp3 players similar to the one you have in your post devoted to AFI. Could you let me know which service you are using, and do they allow you to upload/host your own files? If you don't mind, could you please respond to this question via e-mail? I tend to forget which posts I leave comments in, so therefore never get to see the response. Please shoot me an e-mail to shockw4ve_x at hotmail dot com if it isn't too much trouble. Thank you and take care.

    Zer0_II
    http://digitalmeltd0wn.blogspot.com
    http://music-bloggers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete